Peaks and Valleys


You've all heard the old adage, "Life is about Peaks and Valleys." Its origin is unclear but we've all heard it. It's an emotional pick me up. A motivator to keep going.

I know I’ve said some derivation of it to a friend when they've needed comfort AND admittedly at times the person I’m telling it to is myself.

There are different variations like:

“Life ebbs and flows”
“What goes up must come down”
"Highs and lows" 
"To and fro"
"Good and bad times" 

Because I'm a visual person I like the image that is created with “Peaks” and “Valleys”

PeAKS are by definition the highest point. I like thinking of the summit of a mountain.


Its symbolic of the times when I'm feeling positive and on top of the world. When everything I do is working. These are the "wins" in our lives, the "high" times BUT we can not survive at this altitude for very long because at high altitudes there's less oxygen.

Which brings me to the inevitable VALLey (an elongated lowland between ranges of mountains)


As pleasant and enjoyable as it is to be "ON TOP” its in the VALLeys where our character is truly formed. Its when we are at our lowest points, when nothing is working, its here where we find out what we are really made of. 

The thing about life is that there’s no guidebook to follow to get through each point in life - we each have to figure it out for ourselves. We are here on earth to LeARN from every aspect of our lives - whether experiencing a windfall or in the depths of despair. Our lives are unfolding before us with every second that ticks by.

What I've grown to understand is that when ever I hold on too tightly to any given moment I end up not allowing it to breathe, I strangle it and end up creating more discomfort for myself (and for everyone around me). So, I breathe deeply and enjoy the view from the peaks in my life and when in the valleys - when I'm at my lowest and feeling overwhelmed by life - I try to re-focus my attention upwards, towards the PeAK and start my climb towards it again.   

xo,  DawnMarie 

How do you stay motivated? 
Leave me a comment letting me know your tips.  



Comments

  1. I read an article yesterday that referenced a study done at SUNY, where they found that subjects who survived a moderate amount of adversity were better off than those who hadn't experienced any trauma at all. So, yes, the valley truly does serve a purpose... and we're better for it. Wish there was a chocolate supplement I could take instead for the same emotional and spiritual growth effect! Lol :)

    There's also the old adage- be careful what you wish for. As spiritual beings we're constantly creating. One might say that we're creating the valley in which to grow ourselves into the next level that we're wanting for ourselves.... but that's whole 'nother story :)

    Awesome blog!! I love reading it- I always get a hunk of knowledge or inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.

Happy Summer Solstice 2013