Flirting with a Vegitarian lifestyle

Just so YOU know -
BEFORE we go any further -
let me JUST say -
I have ALWAYS been a
proud CARNIVORE.
Steak Pizzaiola is my favorite
- AND I have to say that
my hubby cooks a mean steak -

Now, to be honest
our daily diet was not filled
with red meat - we'd enjoy a
steak like once a month -
USUALLY we'd opt for
"HEALTHY" white meat and make
Roasted Chicken, Pork or Fish.

That is until I watched
"THE COVE" and "FOOD INC"
If you haven't watched these
I highly recommend them.
They aren't "Anti meat"
documentaries - just VERY
informative.

OK...SO....
AFTER watching FOOD INC
my hubby turned to me and
said:

"There's gotta be something wrong
when we are nourishing ourselves
with tortured souls"

(yeah, I know...right? He's
so F***ing profound)

NEEDLESS to say we are turned off
by meat at the moment -
DILEMMA - what do two CARNIVORE'S make
for dinner.....UGH...

TRADER JOES to the rescue.

Last night, after I talked myself
off the ledge - I stood in front of the
stove and became INSPIRED!

Through this INSPIRATION I made
my own version of a
VEGETARIAN LINGUINI ALLA CARBONARA
(see recipe below)

The house still has the yummy scent
of last nights dinner and BEST part
of all - it was not just a YUMMY
dinner but one that was made with
our new found AWARENESS.


DAWNMARIE'S VEGETARIAN LINGUINI ALLA CARBONARA


*Please keep in mind that the measurement's
are not EXACT - I was inspired and
was literally tossing in the herbs and
tasting - and well - I recommend
adding the herbs slowly....

Ingredients:
3 Table spoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
(one infused with RED Pepper will add heat)

1 small carton Organic Heavy Cream
1 red onion
1 bag of Organic Peas
1-2 table spoons of organic Flour
2 table spoons of grated Lucitelli Parmesan Cheese
2 - 3 pinches of Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder

Medium pan saute half of the red onion -
add in half container of the
Organic Heavy cream -
Add in Salt, pepper and Garlic powder.
Add in 1 table spoon of Flour
stir - when ingredients are cooking in the pan -
fold in PEAS and add HEAVY CREAM -
*** keep in mind when you're adding
the HEAVY CREAM - you want the consistency to be
a little soupy ***

THEN add in the Parmesan Cheese -

Let simmer for 30 mins - stirring often -
the FINAL RESULT should be a thick, rich sauce -

**you can always manipulate the texture one way or the
other by adding water or adding more Parmesan**

** I served it on a bed of Linguini.


CONSCIOUS COOKING - WOO-HOO.

xo

Comments

  1. God bless you for staying "awake"! I'm actually still scared to watch those films for fear of becoming "awake" and having to be responsible for that - crazy right?!!! Your integrity always inspires me :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Forgiveness

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.