Because I listened to my brother (A Story about Self-defense)

I am a huge fan of the real-life, Crime/Cop shows (basically everything on A&E) 48 hours, Cold Case Files, DEA, Forensic Files... and also this new show on OWN called "Disappeared".  It wasn't until recently that a haunting thought came over me, as I watched the crimes on these shows it was like de ja vu, I realized that in my life I've had similar experiences. Seriously, it rocked me to my core how similar. I also realized that BUT FOR what my brother taught me I wouldn't alive today.

This is me and my bro - after training one day
My brother has been a Martial Artist ever since he could walk and swing Nunchaku.

We grew up in the projects on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and because we lived in a tough neighborhood my brother taught me self defense and I am here today because he cared enough and had the patience to teach me some skills that saved my life.  


AWARENESS OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS

I was in High School and was 15 years old. It was after school and I walked into my building like I had done every day but this day as I waited for the elevator to take me up to my apartment I noticed a new face in the crowd, out of the sea of familiar faces was a face of a stranger.  The face belonged to a Black man in his late 20's.

I had never seen him before that day but for the next couple days there he was in the lobby of my building; and always at the same time. He never spoke to anyone and I never saw him go on or come off the elevator. Something about him was off to me. I had nothing to go on except my own intuition.

One day as me and a couple other people walked onto the elevator this man stepped onto the elevator with us. I kept looking at his face to get a read on him but he wouldn't look straight at me. Before I knew it I was alone with this man in the elevator. Almost automatically I went into survival mode. I had one floor left on this Elevator ride, just one. This ride in "real time" would take seconds to go floor by floor BUT at this moment it seemed to take an eternity, it felt as if we were stuck in molasses.

I had my keys out and in my fist like my brother taught me to do. Holding them like brass knuckles -

and when the elevator reached my floor I didn't wait for the door to slide open fully - I squeezed out of the elevator and pushed the outer door to the elevator shut - and B-lined it to my door.

From this point on time seemed to speed-up. I did not look behind me, I didn't have to because I could feel him and hear his foot steps behind me.  By squeezing out of the elevator and pushing the door I gave myself the crucial seconds that helped me reach my apartment door with enough time to open it and get inside.

I locked the door as fast as I could behind me and I knelt down on the floor to see where he was. I looked through the bottom of the door and was shocked at what I saw... his boots... he was standing there in front of my door!!!! 

I lived with my Grandmother and brother but no one was home - this man didn't know I was alone so I began saying "Hi" loudly as if my family was home. I started conversations with myself and my grandmother and my brother. I was just scared shitless. I was standing behind a locked door, safely in my apartment but still I was SCARED SHITLESS!!!!!

It wasn't too long after when I heard a scuffle in the hallway. I stopped my imaginary conversation - I didn't dare open the door but I looked through the peep hole...

WHAT HAPPENED?

Well, unfortunately one of my neighbors stepped out of their apartment at the same time that this man was outside my door.  She was a sweet Asian Lady - my brother and I grew up with her kids. She was in her 50's at the time. This man turned his criminal intentions from me to her and  grabbed her purse, pushed her down to the ground and ran.

THE AFTERMATH

Because I listened to my intuition and what my brother taught me I averted danger - who knows what this sick F--K had in store for me. Every day while he was in my lobby he was looking for someone and for what ever reason he zeroed in on me and thought he was gonna make me his next victim. Sadly he did rob my neighbor.

A week later I found myself at the 5th Precinct standing behind a one-way mirror and on the other side was a line-up of suspects and he was among these suspects. After I picked him out of the line-up I remember the Detectives saying how lucky I was, they told me that this man had a criminal record and his record included a history of Rape. The Detectives said I had showed real courage coming down to the Precinct and they expressed their gratitude - because of ME this criminal was off the streets.

I hadn't thought about that day in a while - its just one of the many in my life where if not for what my brother taught me I WOULD NOT BE HERE TODAY!

I can't give a full on "SELF-DEFENSE" class in my blog but I can share two things that may save your life:

1) ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR INTUITION - Maybe it comes to you as a feeling, some kind of inexplicable emotion - that's your intuition and it is always talking to you and it is always right. YES. ALWAYS!  If walking down a certain street doesn't seem right - don't do it. The best defense is a good offense.

2) STAY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS - Stay present and aware of your surroundings and the people around you.  This may be the one thing that saves your life and who knows YOU may be able to get one of the bad guys off the street and stop them from hurting anyone else. 

To my amazing BROTHER - as always - I Love you and THANK YOU for everything!

xo, 
DawnMarie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.

Forgiveness