Feature Story: A Dancer's Life

When Martha Graham said: "Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion" I believe she was referring to dancers like Kiki Lucas; the subject of this months "Testing The Waters" Feature Story.

I had the distinct pleasure of becoming friends and working with Kiki Lucas while she was living in Los Angeles.  She being a fellow Aries woman we hit it off instantly. 

To this day I continue to feel incredibly blessed to have known and worked with her. At the time, I was performing in and producing cabaret shows and she graciously agreed to choreograph a couple of numbers for a few of my productions. 


                                                                                        Photo Credit: Whitney Browne
Kiki has an extremely generous spirit on and off the stage. I have always been inspired by her grace, passion and talent. When she dances she leaves everything she has on the stage. Working with her as a choreographer was an amazing experience as well. 

As a choreographer Kiki is bold yet subtle, she finds unexpected nuances - be it in the music or with a prop - and highlights them, so as a dancer, you can't help but to be whisked away into her world of movement. 

AN ARTIST'S LIFE

Being an artist takes focus and vulnerability, one must learn to remain completely present and thoroughly open to life. Doing so invites the intuition (found in all of us), those forces greater than ourselves to take us to places beyond our limitations, and perhaps to places we've never dreamed of. 

In true "artistic form" Kiki did just that when she decided to leave Los Angeles and move to Texas - she listened and allowed the subtle wind of intuition to guide her steps. 

NEXT STOP, TEXAS

Kiki has enjoyed much success in her new city - she is the Resident Choreographer and senior dancer at the Houston Metropolitan Dance Company and was just named one of the cities 100 most creative people by the Houston Press. 

                                                  Photo Credit: Ben Doyle
Founded in 1995, The Houston Metropolitan Dance Company is a non- profit organization. The company blends all styles of dance, from contemporary, to jazz, tap, ballet to Hip-hop. For more information click here

"The Vessel"  is Kiki's current project - it is inspired by the work the company does with "The Center for Hearing and Speech" in Houston. 

The CHS is a non-profit that helps children with mild to profound hearing loss to develop listening, speaking and literacy skills needed to succeed in today's society. For more information please visit their website

** The Vessel runs from April 11 - April 12th. Follow this link for tickets. 



And so without further ado, let me introduce you to Kiki Lucas and...



A DANCER'S LIFE

Kiki Lucas in "Mixing It Up, Again" 
                                                                Photo Credit: Ben Doyle

DM: When did you begin dancing?

KL: I began dancing at the age of two under the direction of my God Mother Donna Grove and Jodi Welch in a studio called Vella Dance Studio in Bridgeville, PA. I did pageants and competed my whole life until I went to college for dance at Point Park University.


DM: So, we met a number of years ago, when you were living in Los Angeles. Why did you move to LA? Also, what made you decide to leave LA? 

KL: My junior year at PPU I visited Los Angeles for a month and completely fell in love with it all.  I knew that the second that I graduated I needed to move there. I don't think I even knew exactly what it was I was after.....I just knew it had to start there!! I loved every minute of the time that I spent in Los Angeles.  I was really surrounded by an AMAZING group of friends, colleagues, dancers, actors and artists.

Leaving wasn't easy.  I guess I just truly believe that when you're living the life of an artist, sometimes you have to be willing to just pick up and go when opportunity knocks.  As happy as I was in LA.......something was still missing. 

DM: You are currently the Resident Choreographer for the Houston Metropolitan Dance Company. How were you appointed to this position?

KL: Marlana Walsh Doyle a long time friend of mine from college contacted me and asked me to choreograph work [for] the The Houston Metropolitan Dance Co in 2003. I graciously accepted her offer.  After creating the work "Benevolence" in Houston and seeing what Artistic Director Marlana Walsh Doyle and Executive Director Michelle Smith were doing with their plans and outlook for the company and center, I thought that Houston might be a good city to grow in as an artist, dancer, and choreographer. There is a a huge art scene here. So I  moved to Houston, TX the summer of 2004 to become a company member and two years later the Resident Choreographer of the Company.


DM: When you are choreographing a new piece, are there specific routines or rituals you follow. What inspirations do you draw on?

                                                                                          Photo Credit: Ben Doyle

KL: Each piece comes from a different start.  I don't think I've ever approached any two dances the same way twice. Sometimes there's a story involved, there may be a prop that you have to revolve around, it may be done in silence or with text or directly to the music.  Each circumstance calls for different attention to detail.  I really try to just let my gut tell me what to do and not plan too far ahead. I know I personally feed off of my cast of dancers tremendously and whatever energy they choose to give me.


DM: What has been either the strangest or funniest incident you've experienced working as a dancer and/or choreographer? 

KL: The funniest thing that's ever happened to me???? I never thought this would be a question that would stump me, but it did a bit.

I guess the funniest actually wasn't anything that happened on stage or in the studio but during my move from Los Angeles to Texas. OH my.......that was quite an experience that I  and my cat Lacey experienced in my little Ford Focus at the time.

My car looked like something out [of] a show for hoarders with barely even enough space left over to see out of the window to drive.  I blew a tire IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and ended up in this random garage with dead things hanging on the wall with CHRISTMAS BALLS hanging in their mouths and it was AUGUST!! Not to mention the fact that it was at least 1,000 degrees and the mosquitoes were large enough to saddle up and my cat was panting........do cats pant? ha

DM: What advice would you give other women interested in pursuing dance as a career?

KL: The best advice I can give anyone trying to pursue a career in dance would be to STAY FOCUSED, stay involved, do your research, follow your heart and allow room for mistakes.  CHALLENGE yourself, be proactive in your decisions.  No matter what......KEEP UP WITH TAKING CLASS.  Be patient, be grateful, be persistent and consistent.

DM: What do you love most about what you do?

KL: I love that I do what I love the most!!

DM: What is the best thing that has happened to you in 2012 and though we are early into it, the current year as well?

KL: This past year was actually a pretty big year for me!!  2012 allowed me to travel to Buenos Aires, Argentina for  3 separate teaching engagements.  I have a huge place for Argentina and the students there in my heart. I am blessed to be able to go there so often.

In March I also flew to Colombia  taught workshops and created work in Manizales, Bogota and Pereira.

I was named by the Houston Press as one of the 100 most creative people in Houston, TX. My work "Rebound" was chosen to perform at the Inside/Out stage at Jacob's pillow this past August.  That was truly a dream come true for me and something I'll never forget. 

2013 has just started but has kept me busy creating this up and coming show entitled "The Vessel" that will premier here at the Wortham Theater showcasing my work along side one of my oldest, dearest and most talented friends, Mr. Peter Chu.

DM: What is your biggest wish/goal for this year?



                 Kiki's latest teaching engagement in Buenos Aires (Feb/2013) 


KL: My biggest wish for the year ahead would be to be blessed enough to continue my growth and dedication to my art while opening doors and presenting opportunity for not only myself but for as many dancers that I can involve.  As I get older I find it more and more important to give back.

DM: What projects are you currently working on?

KL: Currently I am working on "The Vessel".  This is my first full work that I've ever attempted at this length before. It will be around 35-40 min long when it's all said and done.

The Houston Met Dance Company along with two guest artists (Jocelyn Thomas and Brit Wallis) are my wonderful dancers for this show.  Marlana Walsh Doyle and her wonderful husband Ben are the back bone to the operation.  Ben has also composed all of the music for the work and it will all be played live during the piece.  This alone makes me so excited I can barely contain myself.

My focal point of the piece comes from working hand and hand with the "Center of Hearing and Speech " here in Houston.  We have visited their school and the children there and learned a bit about what goes on and what it involves to educate these awesome kids with cochlear implants.  We are focusing on one little girl named Bailey-------who actually was a student at the Houston Met Dance Center when she was 5.  She will be included in the show in April.

My dear friend Jason McDole will be guesting for this work as well performing a bit of his own story and gracing the stage with his mind blowing talent.

The whole evening is going to be overwhelming for me in every way possible.  Sharing a show with "the" Peter Chu, seeing the whole thing actually take place and knowing EXACTLY where it all started from is going to be pretty much EVERYTHING I could ask for at this moment in my life.  I really can't wait.

DM: What one thing would you do if you knew that you could not fail?

KL:  I would love to choreograph a Broadway Show or a Music Video.


DM: If someone were to describe you in one sentence what would they say?

KL:  I'm sure they would have a lot to say" ha ha ha lol. I guess someone might say that I'm a very passionate person that lives life to the fullest.

DM: Its the end of a great week and you have some free time on your hands - what do you do?

KL: FREE TIME? WHAT"S THAT? If I do, I'm absolutely enjoying a nice evening out with friends at my fav. martini bar chilling back while listening to an awesome DJ.


ALLOW YOUR LIFE TO UNFOLD

In life, I have found that one of the biggest sources of frustration comes from holding tightly to a fixed vision. Kiki Lucas is a powerful reminder to us all that fulfillment will come by letting go of control. When we let go of any fixed ideas we may have and let life unfold, it just might surprise us.  

Kiki, THANK YOU for allowing me to share your story with my readers. I can't wait for your next visit to Los Angeles! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Happy Summer Solstice 2013

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.