Success & the Pursuit of A Well Rounded Life

So, sometimes I sit down to write my weekly blog and I know what I'm going to write about. Usually by the time I sit down at my computer and put my fingers on the keys to type I've done all the research and compiled all the necessary info and photos I'd need to tell the story BUT this week was different.

After spending 5 days in Monterey I came back and I had a bit of writers block. Well, actually it was writers block fueled by indecision, I could not decide on this weeks subject.  I wrestled with the idea of sharing with you guys my experience in Monterey.

Monterey at one time served as both the Spanish and Mexican capital of California from the late 1700's to early 1800's and is celebrated as one of the most historic towns on the West Coast.

It was a relaxing vacay and writers block aside, I returned home inspired and invigorated but I could not settle on what to write about for this weeks post... I mean, while in Monterey I did find out some really cool, fun facts like:

There is a huge Italian community there, specifically a huge Sicilian community. In fact, Pietro Ferranti immigrated to the U.S. in 1899 from Sicily and he is recognized as a founder of the fishing and canning industries in Monterey.

As I delighted in finding out about my fellow paisans.  I mentally toyed with the idea of posting the photos I took of the Cannery Worker Houses - some of the only remaining structures that housed the cannery workers.

Cannery Worker Houses










 I was so fascinated to find out that the Sicilian women and men of the time worked together as partners. These women resisted their husbands objections and worked alongside their men in the sardine canneries -- this was back in the early 1900's.






I then thought about sharing the photo I took of "California's First Theatre"



It was built by Jack Swan in 1846 as a lodging house for weary sailors. It was first used as a theater when the Army officers from Colonel Stevenson's 1st Regiment produced plays to make some cash - the first nights receipts totaled $500.00, that was in 1850... leave it to us New Yorkers to get our hustle on :)

My indecisiveness waned as I began to relive all the delicious meals I had while there.  My Monterey travels took me to this beautiful place: Restaurant 1833


Like every thing else in Monterey this place is also historic. The house was built in... you guessed it 1833. Originally it was built as a single room adobe by Benjamin Day but was purchased in 1837 by James Stokes.

James Stokes was a sailor and convinced everyone that he was a pharmacist and a doctor. Stokes was not an actual doctor, his medical knowledge equated to basic first aid. His home became the site of California's first pharmacy, its believed that many people died because of his "pharmaceutical" enterprise. After his death the place changed hands many times, one of the shacks on the property held the printing press for California's first newspaper and it is said that John Steinbeck penned "The Pearl" here as well.

I also enjoyed drinks and live music at The Sardine Factory...


scrumptious Vegetarian meals like this delicious Gnocchi dish at        Bistro Moulin



I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of Cafe Fina, Dominick Mercurio, when Me, the hubs and our furry baby, Scarlett stopped in for a bite to eat.


And each night we watched the sunset at the beautiful                     


So, I guess in the end I did share some stories from my trip to Monterey. It is a little bit of a departure from the stories I usually write for my blog but on second thought, maybe not.

It can become very easy to slip into a routine when striving towards a dream. I know from my own experience I tend to get so focused on attaining the goal I set that I don't allow myself to take my eye off the finish line to look up and enjoy my life -- where ever I happen to be at that moment.

Success is something that we each have to define for ourselves but as we each strive towards what ever goal we've set for ourselves, we must remember to also take care of ourselves and nurture a well rounded life; taking time to relax and enjoy yourself is a big part of it.


Me and the Hubs - at sunset (Inn At Spanish Bay)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Forgiveness

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.