R.A.C.E. in the USA

If you haven't watched Oprah's Master Class on OWN you need to stop reading this post right now and go tune in... it is absolutely amazing! And if you don't know which channel OWN is on here's an easy  Channel Finder

WHAT IS MASTER CLASS?


Master Class is a show on the Own Network, in each episode a successful celebrity talks straight to camera and openly discusses the lessons they've learned from their life. Jane Fonda, Stevie Nicks, Tom Brokaw are just some that have appeared in this series.

I recently watched Lenny Kravitz's Master Class and he brought up many topics that I hold close to my own heart - one in particular had to do with race. 


On the program he reveals a number of defining moments from his life but one in particular had a huge impact on him - this incident happened when he was in first grade. 

On the first day of class his teacher had handed out one of those state mandated forms requiring the standard information like - address, birth date, race etc. Kravitz is the product of an inter-racial marriage, he is the son of a white Russian-Jewish man, Sy Kravitz (a TV Producer and Record Exec) and Black Bahamian woman, Roxie Roker (best known for her ground breaking role as Helen Willis on the Jeffersons). Before this day he never even thought of the racial difference between his parents and now glancing at the options in front of him on this form he had no idea which box he should check...



DON'T LABEL ME


At an early age Kravitz was aware of his heritage and knew that he was not just one race but the narrowly written form did not include a selection that he felt described his lineage. His teacher seeing that he was having trouble tried to help him by telling him to check the box labeled "Black." 

Later that day he told his mom what had happened in school and she took the time to explain the situation to him. She confirmed that, yes, he should be proud of his heritage and that while it is true he is not more one race than the other society would not be able to discern that fact, to the outside world he will only be perceived as a "Black man."


"So many parts of your heritage are 
just squashed, that's it... you're that." ~ Lenny Kravitz

Kravitz later states that at the time he couldn't fully grasp the whole concept but as he lived his life he began to understand that this is just the way life is. 


Sadly, in our ever diversifying world these standardized forms are a reminder that society has not fully embraced the multi-racial America of today. 


WHICH RACE ARE YOU?


In this day and age Lenny Kravitz is still viewed as a "Black" man.  I've had a very different experience - people usually don't know how to classify me - I appear ethically ambiguous and so my personal experience usually goes as follows: 

Israelis think I am Israeli
Cubans think I am Cuban 
Indian's think I am Indian 
Greek's think I'm Greek 
Italian's think I am Italian
Native Americans think I'm... 

Well you get the point. I often wish I had a hidden camera so I could capture the many strange interactions I've had with people. 

WHAT ARE YOU?

I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different countries and no matter where I go I am usually asked to define my ethnicity. I remember walking around the streets of Berlin and strangers would come up to me and literally ask "What are you?"  The language barrier helped to create these humorous yet awkward moments in Germany but no matter the language, the city or country I am inevitably asked to define my ethnicity in some way shape or form. 


A BROWN GIRL FROM NEW YORK

As an Actress I love that I appear ethnically ambiguous - the playing field is more open for me artistically but in all actuality I am Italian, Puerto Rican and Spanish and I recently found out that I may also have Native American blood running through my veins as well.

So taking into account my heritage, what am I supposed to check, what box am I to choose on these still narrowly formed documents? Well, I usually check the "OTHER" box when it comes to my race and then use the line that is provided to write in my ethnicity, that's how I handle it - and when asked in person about my ethnicity I usually smile and say "I'm a Brown girl from New York."

What about you? Let me know your thoughts...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.

Happy Summer Solstice 2013