Life Lessons from films...


Who says you can't learn anything from watching films??? I know that personally I've learned so many life lessons from them. For this Blog I'm going to focus one film: 

THE WIZARD OF OZ

(Confession: I still have yet to read any of L. Frank Baum's novels that is on my Life's To Do List)

I love, love, love "The Wizard of Oz". I remember the first time I watched it, I sat MESMERISED! 

I distinctly remember being pulled into Dorothy's experience the second she opens the door and her world is transformed from Black and white into glittering technicolor.

As the audience we can each identify with at least one of the characters and their journey in the film. The genius of "The Wizard Of Oz" is that by films end each character finds that what they were looking for was in fact not outside of themselves but inside, "they had it all along". It's the act of taking ownership of it that makes it accessible.


WHEN EVER I WATCH THE FILM I'M ALWAYS DRAWN TO TWO CHARACTERS:

First, the SCARECROW because I've always loved his choreography AND  love all the songs he gets to sing.

(confession: I would love to play the Scarecrow in a production... just saying.... )

The other character is the LION, his search for courage has made the biggest impression on my life. "The Cowardly Lion" what a dichotomy. "Cowardly" and "Lion".

A Lion creates images of "King of the Jungle" not a meek kitty cat wishing and hoping in a mirror for Courage.

The lesson I get from the the LION is to remember that in my life sometimes it will be easier to summon the courage needed and at other times it will feel more difficult. And it's in those difficult times when I try to remind myself that I am always the Lion(ess), no matter feelings to the contrary, I am the Lion(ess). No need to search outside myself - I always have the power within me - AS IT IS WITHIN YOU.

I recently came across a definition of COURAGE:

COURAGE: (also Fortitude) is the ability to confront fear, pain, risk/danger, uncertainty, or intimidation. "Physical Courage" is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, death, or threat of death, while "Moral Courage" is the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, or discouragement.

I believe this definition of  "Courage" is what " The Cowardly Lion" is on a quest for, and I think we all search, strive and pray for it at one point or another in our lives, whether its Physical or Moral Courage.

The next time you find yourself in a difficult position try to remind yourself of  "The Wizard of Oz"  and stop looking outside yourself for the answer and instead trust and own the fact that you already have "the power within".

xo, 
DawnMarie

Comments

  1. You betta preach!! AND I love that you are using The Wizard of Oz!! So perfectly apropo for me since I relate well to ALL things told with childlike innocence- even killing witches is digestible when surrounded by bright colors and songs (lol! :) Anywho, I digress- this is awesome!! I second your thoughts homie!! Well said!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - love it!!! Thanks for posting on my blog xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Forgiveness

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.