1926 - 2013: The Great Gatsby



One of my all-time favorite novels is "The Great Gatsby." The first time reading it I was completely mesmerized by F. Scott Fitzgerald's poetic writing style. He draws the reader into the roaring 20's (which is my favorite era), into the lives of all the characters and the love story between Gatsby and Daisy.  And I will also admit to being thrilled that this beautiful tale was set in my hometown of New York.


MY LOVE OF THE 1920's


Photo of me in a production of "CABARET" style is still very 20's

                                                                           
I so was a flapper/showgirl in a past life...


I'm often inspired by the 20's style. This is a photo of me and 
my hubby at a wedding we attended


FROM NOVEL TO SCREEN

The beloved book written by F. Scott Fitzgerald has been adapted for the screen numerous times - to date versions extend from the Silent screen era to the present day computer generated, green screen, 3D,
Baz Luhrmann extravaganza.

I recently found a trailer for the first ever screen adaptation of "The Great Gatsby." It is the silent movie version and was released just one year after the book was published. Also, adding to the cool factor of this film is that it was actually produced during Fitzgerald's lifetime. Sadly, the actual silent film is believed to be lost but the trailer still exists... ENJOY:

1926 - SILENT SCREEN VERSION (trailer)


1926 Poster with Lois Wilson


















1949 -  this version embodies those classic 40's films. 

(Alan Ladd stars as Gatsby and Betty Field is Daisy)




1974 -  starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow
(Produced in the era filled with 15 minute long songs - this trailer is a bit drawn out but still enjoyable)  



























2000 - The Great Gatsby TV movie
(Toby Stephens as Gatsby, Mira Sorvino as Daisy and Paul Rudd as Nick Carraway. Personally, I don't think its a very good adaptation but wanted to share a scene from it)




And that finally brings me to what I anticipate will be the BEST adaptation of F. Scott's master piece, (dare I say a masterpiece of a masterpiece... sorry I'm giddy with anticipation)

2013 - Baz Luhrmann's "Great Gatsby"



The trailer to Baz Luhrmann's "Gatsby" looks incredible!!!
(Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Gatsby, Carey Mulligan as Daisy and Toby Maguire as Nick Carraway) 



I intend to update this post after watching the movie. I am going to a 21 and over screening on Friday night - that means I can also enjoy a fancy cocktail while watching my favorite novel brought to life by the uber creative Luhrmann and some of today's most talented actors and actresses. 





MY PREDICTION
I will go on record and say that I predict this version will be my all-time favorite and that I will go see it a couple times in the theater.  I also foresee many Oscar nominations will come from this master piece and while I haven't seen it yet I know DiCaprio will undoubtedly give yet another Oscar worthy performance and maybe he'll finally bring home Oscar gold with this performance. 


Read my follow-up article here: Post Gatsby Wrap-up





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.

Forgiveness