The Weight of Shame.

"A Life, Taken" is inspired by my personal experience with sexual abuse. Before writing this story I never spoke about what happened to me as a child. Sitting down to write my story wasn't a conscious choice it was more like I was led to do so by a force greater than myself. I had no idea the effect it would have on me and my life.

I can still remember the day I finished the first draft (over year ago), somehow I felt lighter, like a weight had been lifted. I know now that by writing my story and getting it out I had dropped the heavy weight of shame I had been clinging to all these years. My silence insured that I held tightly to this shame as if it were some kind of life preserver instead of what it really was - a 10 ton weight.

I chose to stay quiet and not speak about what happened to me. I thought this would make it "go away". Boy was I wrong. This is like putting a bag of garbage in a closet in the house instead of throwing it out in the dumpster where it belongs. I didn't have the life tools to realize I had done this. I lived in denial, "blissfully" unaware of the garbage I had left in the closet... until now. 

Shamis onof the most harmful after effects of all abuse - sexual, emotional or physical abuse. Telling my story allowed me to let go of this shame. I set myself free. Basking in my own freedom I began to think of ways I could help even just one other person set themselves free. So, I made the decision to produce "A Life, Taken".

Producing this project I feel a sense of personal power that is undeniable. I always prided myself on being strong but now I see that I am not only strong I am: courageous, loving, compassionate, confident and a fearless survivor!

The realization that production starts in a couple weeks has set in and I am at the moment filled with gratitude to all our supporters. So many people donated to our project whether with money, their time and emotional support. I know that with out their support this couldn't be possible. It truly is a wonderful feeling having others believe in you and your dream.

I am now getting ready to take off the producer and writer hats that I've been wearing this past year and put my ACTING hat back on. I play the lead character in our film and I can not wait to get on set to start working with our incredible cast and crew.

My wonderful husband decided early on that he would step in to direct, with him steering this ship and our amazing DP by his side I have the utmost confidence in our project and am at the same time humbled by having so much talent working towards the same goal... "A Life, Taken" - our film - helping others begin to heal.

Stay tuned for more posts from set!                                                                                                                
xo, DawnMarie
   
"A Life, Taken" will be the first project produced by Vero Films; me and my husbands production company (Vero is an Italian word that translates to: Real,Truth)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Forgiveness

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.