The Holiday Spirit After Sandy Hook

As a country we are all still trying to process the shooting at Sandy Hook - understanding the why of it all is beyond comprehension. At any time of year Sandy Hook would be unbearable but the fact that it happened during Christmas makes it even more gut wrenching. The image of families with gifts under the trees for their beautiful little angels, gifts that will never be opened... breaks my heart. 

I am no stranger to dealing with death, both my parents died by the time I was six.  The holes that their deaths left in my life have never been filled, my mourning still continues to this day although it changes, it transitions with each year that passes but it is still ever present. 



Photo of my parents - they were going to their Engagement party

TAKEN TOO SOON
Sandy Hook made me think about my Dad's death because he died as a result of a senseless act of violence, he was killed with a single gunshot wound to his head. When I was a teenager my mind was drowning in the "What If's" of his murder: What if he hadn't been on that street? - What if he stayed home? - What if the shooter had shot him in a different place on his body? What if the murderer chose to use a knife instead of a gun???? My list was endless. It took years for me to free myself from these "What if's" but the "Why" of his death haunts me 'til this day. 
This is a rare photo of my brother and our father, it will seem weird in this era of iPhones and Instagram but this is the only photo me and my brother have of our Dad being, well, our Dad.  Neither of us have any memories of being held by him - this photo is one of the only images we have that shows we at some point in our lives had some normalcy

WHY???
I recently heard a lecture by Caroline Myss where she said: 


It is not our job to figure out the why's of our life - 
life needs faith, life is a mystery and it will always be a mystery.  
Give up the need to know why things happen as they do and say, 
"I'm never going to solve this, show me how to live with it."

The events at Sandy Hook definitely sent me into a pool of why's.  That horrific event will have an enormous ripple effect. The school lost their leader and her family lost their mom - the world lost future doctors, teachers, future humanitarians, future moms and dad's... 

It was difficult turning to my faith when the most innocent on this earth are being murdered, their light extinguished too early. I found the why of it all overwhelming and I am now beginning to understand that maybe it should overwhelm me. Maybe it isn't for me (or any of us) to understand the why's of senseless murders like Sandy Hook or for me my Dad's murder. All each of us can do is pray for the courage and grace to put one foot in front of the other while keeping our hearts open. 


THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT
After hearing the news on Friday the thought of celebrating the Holiday's seemed unimportant but my husband and I had plans to host a little get together with our neighbors - we could have never known this party would help us get back into the holiday spirit. 

Seeing all our neighbors together reminded me that the Holidays are the time of year when we hold those that are near and dear to us a little closer, it's the time of year when we show our gratitude for the blessings in our lives, reflect on the passing year and look towards a new year with the anticipation of a new beginning. 


Sending you love, peace and joy from our home to your's,






XO, DawnMarie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.

Happy Summer Solstice 2013