Recycled Books: A Metaphor for Life.

Have you noticed the lack of actual bookstores recently?

With the advent of the e-book, Kindle, iPad and the like, theorists are predicting the extinction of bookstores - much like the dinosaur - library's, bookstores and even newsstands will one day be a relic of the past. It is my personal opinion that reading a book, an actual book-book can never be replaced by a flat screen, but that's my opinion.

Recently, I came across the work of artist, writer, musician and stage director Guy Laramee. He sculpts antiquated books into works of art.



I think Laramee's work creates a poignant statement. 

Some of the books he uses are Encyclopedias - who remembers those? Those beautifully bound books, filled with gorgeous illustrations, that once offered the ease of knowledge at our finger tips, now completely replaced by the internet.

Unlike the information found in those Encyclopedia's Laramee's sculptures are enhanced by time, since they are always in a state of transformation. With each passing day, month, year, the pages are eroding, and yellowing and as a result they will continue to create a new landscape.



To me his work is a great metaphor for life. 

If I have one Achilles heel its my drive towards perfectionism and certainty. Looking at Laramee's work I now realize that a life built with my idealized "perfection and certainty" would look like a sculpture made of bronze. Frozen, stiff and static.



I think I am going to print out one of these photos and keep it tucked in my wallet as a reminder that in life change is the only real constant. I'll remind myself to go with the flow and allow my life to unfold. I'll let it just evolve into whatever it wants to become. Somewhere deep inside I know that life really is like these sculptures... always transforming and all I (or any of us) can do is remain open and relax into these changes.



If you're interested in learning more about Guy Laramee  HERE'S A LINK to his website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Forgiveness

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.