Feature Article: A Songbird's Journey

You know that old adage: "Birds of a Feather Flock together?" I think we are all inexplicably drawn to people with whom we share common interests. Looking over the landscape of my life I know this is why most of my friends are artists.

If there is one common thread between all artists it is this: in order to engage in our artistic expression (what ever that is, dance, painting, writing etc) there needs to be an openness, we need to be vulnerable and remain available to the creative process.

SOCIAL BUTTERFLY 

I am a self-professed (and confessed) social butterfly, I absolutely love meeting new people and usually sit on the edge of my seat, riveted by every detail of their life's journey. This is why I adore writing these monthly features, I've heard so many wonderful stories over the years. I'm grateful to have this outlet to share them with you. I hope each feature article inspires you, in some way, to pursue your dreams.

IT'S ALL 'BOUT THE JOURNEY

The more time I am allowed to walk on this great, big, beautiful earth the more I realize the correlation between the tools I use in my art and those I use in my everyday life.  Life really is one big creative process. One thing I've learned from my own creative process is that failure is not only expected but it should be encouraged. You can't avoid failure nor should you try to - it's an essential element to any successful endeavor.

There are many different approaches to having a career in the arts. Unlike past generations, today's technology is creating a more level playing field.  Gone are the days of waiting to book a job or signing a recording contract, it is now possible to produce your own material and distribute it yourself.

This week it is my pleasure to introduce you to Kelli Debbs. She is an incredibly talented singer, songwriter, musician who is creating her own opportunities in the music industry.


Upon meeting Kelli in person you would be instantly taken by her beauty, open spirit and infectious laugh. Once you see her perform you'll be captivated by her soulfulness; she embodies the Folk singers and Rockers of the 1960's... watch this video and you'll understand what I'm talking about.


Kelli Debbs "Love": Backyard Sessions from Brandon Walowitz on Vimeo.


When did you begin singing?

I have been singing on stage since I was about 10 years old.  However, I always loved singing and can remember loving to be in front of a camera or singing for family since way before that.  I used to hold the whole family hostage on pretty much every get together for whatever show I had planned at the time.  My poor cousins ;)

When did you begin to pursue singing as a profession?

Like I said, I started singing when I was little and continued all through high school through musical theater and community events, etc.  I stepped away from it while I was in college for the first few years, as I didn't think I would ever want to make a career out of it.  I finally picked up the guitar that my parents bought me for my high school graduation around 20 years ago.  That inspired me to write and I fell in love with singing in a whole different way.  It took a while for me to believe I was good enough to actually make it in music or to have the confidence in my writing.  I think that just comes with working at it.  I failed a lot before succeeding.  The first time I sang at an open mic, I didn't make it through a single song without stopping.  I really started working hard at it about 5 years ago.

How many instruments do you play?

I play guitar and dabble on keys.

Where are you originally from?

I am from Tampa, FL. I lived there until I was 25 and moved to London for two years. I came to L.A. in 2010.

In college you majored in International Business. Where did your interest in International Business come from? What school did you attend? What degree's do you hold?

I actually majored in Biology at first.  I have a minor in that from the University of South Florida.  I then studied International Business at the European School of Economics in London.  I did not finish school in London because I decided to come home and pursue music, however, I did finalize my International Business Degree online at Colorado Tech.

You also work in Real Estate - why Real Estate?

Real Estate was something I fell into because my mom is a developer in Florida. I am amused that this is the path I ended up on because I always swore that I would "find my own path." I always looked up to my mom's success, but wanted to find my own in another area. It is funny how life happens though and I was lucky enough to get great jobs through my mother.  When I originally moved to L.A. I only had experience in Real Estate, so even though I was looking for International Business jobs in some sort of creative field, I did not look very good on paper for the types of jobs I wanted.  I am now managing a huge leasing team for a property management company and am at least able to be creative and challenged on a regular basis.  I am secretly hoping to crossover into another field like music, etc., but on the business side some day.  Hopefully my experience in this industry can cross over somehow.  And that's if my own music doesn't pan out of course.

Photo Credit: Lee Dawson




















You mentioned that you moved to London - what initiated the move? Why London?

I went to school in London.  I really just wanted a change and always wanted to live abroad.  I didn't speak another language well and had been to London two times already.  I guess it felt like a risk, but still familiar in some way.

What made you move to Los Angeles?

I actually moved out with my boyfriend at the time.  He was going to attend Musician's Institute and I came to pursue music.  Not the most glamorous story, but I'm sure very familiar to many people.  I was actually originally going to move to San Diego with my bestie musician friend, Emily, but things brought me here.  I am glad because I think it ended up being the right city for me.  And now we have reasons to visit each other because she still moved there from FL!

What was the strangest or funniest incident you've experienced working as a singer? Either with the writing process, or performing?

I was in the desert with my friends who frequent a bar in Wonder Valley.  A guy got up to play drums with me and was awful!  I could not keep the beat.  I am supposed to be professional, but I could not tune this guy out for anything.  We finally got him off the stage and thought it was over, however, he continued off to the side of the stage and this time even closer and louder.  Picture drumsticks, no rhythm, and a block wall.  It took everything I had to finish that song.

What advice would you give other women interested in pursuing a singing career or the music business?

Photo Credit: Francis Andaya
Do it! Haha. I don't know if I have a lot of good advice.  I guess it would be...You have to have thick skin and know that you will fail before you succeed. Some nights will go better than others.  You will have to promote yourself until you are sick of yourself in more ways than one.  Don't take yourself too seriously.  Enjoy it until you don't anymore, then reassess things.  I have always been fine with a backup plan, which some people would say means I am not determined enough, however, I love music more than anything and know I will always be a musician in some way, even if I don't make it as a superstar.  You have to love it that much.

What do you love most about what you do?

I have had several people get teary eyed and say they relate to something I have written.  I look for that in other artist's music, so that is the ultimate compliment to me.

Looking back at 2012, what would you say was the best thing that happened to you?

I got to play music most of the year last year and actually make a living at it.  I loved it!

What is your biggest wish/goal for 2013?

To put out a new EP. I can't wait to have new music out!

What one thing would you do if you knew that you could not fail?

Musical Theater.  I would love to be back on stage acting.  I haven't done it since high school and would love to do it again.

Photo Credit: David Bertolami
If someone were to describe you in one sentence what would they say?

The girl with the infectious laugh who never meets a stranger.

It's the end of a great week and you have some free time on your hands - what do you do?

I love to cook or go to a great restaurant. Any neighborhood spot for a cocktail with friends is always a good way to wind down.  I also have a big addiction to TV and watch everything from Duck Dynasty to Grey's Anatomy. Thank goodness I've been busy [so] I've weaned myself off many of them.





Comments

  1. Beautiful article! And beautiful artist- I love her voice :) Thanks for the constant inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Forgiveness

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.