Taíno's: The Puerto Rican Indian tribe.

We are all trying to figure ourselves out. There are tons of TV shows, magazines and books dedicated to help us with this inner search. It seems like I'm asking myself the question "Who am I?" more and more often. Because I remain open to change and personal growth is my life's goal I'm usually asking myself "Who am I... right now?" At other times "Who am I? "pulls sharp focus on my past, my family history, and my genealogy.

Ethnically I am Italian/Puerto Rican but I was raised with my Italian side of my family. For most of my life I've identified with my Italian ethnicity.  I was raised with all the Italian traditions and on Sundays I'm usually making gravy (that's Tomato Sauce to you Non-Italians).

I have no real connection to my Puerto Rican side except that my dad was born in Ponce, PR and I happen to be an AMAZING Salsa dancer. Since my dad died when I was a child I never really experienced my Puerto Rican heritage. Who knew I'd get a full blown Puerto Rican history lesson when I was on set.

While shooting an episode of a TV show I started talking with a fellow actor on set who just happened to be Puerto Rican. If you live in LA you're aware that there isn't a huge Puerto Rican community here.
So, there we were, the 1 and a half Puerto Ricans on set swapping stories back and forth between takes, and my fellow thespian informed me that Puerto Ricans are descendants of Native American Indians.

Wait.... WHAT????

This news excited and intrigued me because I've always had a preoccupation with the Native American Indian culture. Recently, I was cast in a film where I play a Native American woman and I relished every moment of it. I also have a not so secret desire to star in an epic Western Movie playing a Native American character circa the 1800's.

When I came home from set that night I started doing research.

When Christopher Columbus discovered invaded "The New World" he landed in the Greater Antilles which makes up about 90% of the West Indies (an area that comprises of Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, Haiti  Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico).

The Indian term for Puerto Rico is "Boriken" and Taíno is the name of the tribe in Boriken. The Taíno Indians are a subgroup of the Arawakan Indians (a group of American Indians in northeastern South America).

Why, why, why didn't I learn about this in school???

Weirdly, the tribe that lived in Boriken sometimes called themselves Boricuas - this looks very similar to the modern expression for Puerto Ricans - "Boriquas" - No???

My father was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico so I began looking into the area's history. I came across this statue of Agüeybaná II (born ca. 1470 - died 1511). He led the "Taíno rebellion of 1511" against Ponce De León. 


Unfortunately, the history of the tribe was not kept intact because the Spaniards tried desperately to suppress it in their quest to conquer the Taíno people. When Columbus landed on Boriken in 1493 the Taíno Indians were a thriving society. By the 18th century the Taíno society had been devastated by smallpox, intermarriages and slavery.

The Taíno tribe was thought to be extinct but recent DNA testing has proven otherwise. Testing performed on hundred's of Puerto Rican's prove the lineage is still alive today. Some of the language and inventions of the the tribe still survive as well, one example of this is that the Taíno tribe invented the hammock (the Taíno word is "hamaca.") now every time I lay on one I'll smile thinking that I am probably related to the tribe that created it. 

In 1998 the United Confederation of Taíno People (UCTP) was created. Its focus is to salvage the remaining history of the Taíno tribe's spiritual, religious and ceremonial traditions, and to protect the ancestral remains and sacred sites.

I have many questions relating to my genealogy. I've always felt a kin to ethnicities other than those of my immediate family. I wish I had the money to have my DNA tested and have dreams of being on the TV show "Who Do You think You Are?" ( a celebrity is invited on the show and a genealogy expert traces their family lineage).  For now I will rely on my intuitive belief and my research as proof that somewhere in my lineage I am related to the Native American Indian,  specifically the Taíno tribe.
  

All My Best, 
DawnMarie 

***Have you recently found out information on your Ancestry?***
Leave a comment and let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Happy Summer Solstice 2013

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.