Feature Story: Do What Interests You

I've always subscribed to the notion that we are each here for one reason... "to live OUR lives."  This goal sounds simple enough but sadly many people are not living their lives. Many are living the lives their families want them to live, the lives society deems "correct"-- afraid to step out of the box and listen to their soul's cry for expression.

Everyone has a purpose and in order to live our life's purpose we each have to courageously step forward, put one foot in front of the other and allow our individual path to reveal itself to us. 

FIND WHAT INTERESTS YOU

There are many occupations in this great, big, beautiful world of ours -- as Confucius said "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

I can say from personal experience there is no profession more challenging (and at the same time rewarding) than that of being an artist. Many people sit in judgement of others pursuing artistic endeavors but where would our society be without musicians, painters, writers, actors, poets and dancers. 

Can you imagine a world without Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel or Cole Porter's music?  


BE INSPIRED
Once a month I will introduce you to an artist that is putting one foot in front of the other, relentlessly pursuing their passions, going after their dreams and in the process creating a life that they are proud of.  

In this first article I will introduce you to Michelle Flowers. I am so excited and honored to share her journey with you. Michelle is the epitome of the modern woman and embodies the perfect balance of beauty, intelligence and strength. Michelle is an Anthropologist, Actress, Filmmaker, and Producer.

Photo Credit: M. Palma Photography
Recently, Michelle co-produced and stars in the hit play "Black Women: State of The Union."  It is an extremely powerful theatre experience and is set to re-open February 15th and runs Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, and Sundays at 3pm through February 24, 2013. For more information: CLICK HERE


DM: You are incredibly accomplished both professionally and academically - you are currently studying at Loyola Marymount University, working towards your Doctorate in Educational Leadership for Social Justice.You completed a summer film making program at NYU, have an MA in Visual Anthropology, and attended the University of Washington for Anthropology, what led you to pursue these studies? Is there a commonality between these for you? 

MF: I love language, visual anthropology, and cultural research.  I have always been committed to developing opportunities that help people communicate better across cultures. For me it's all about fostering communication and respect using visual medium to celebrate the beautiful diversity that exists in the world. Most recently, I decided to work towards my Doctorate in Educational Leadership for Social Justice because I see there are some imbalances and inequities in our world that I hope to correct with my work. Education can be used as an important tool to re-adjust the inequities that are present today.

DM: And how did pursuing those goals lead you to Acting? 

MF: I was a grant writer in Philadelphia and out of nowhere I was cast in a play called "Long Time Since Yesterday" by P.T. Gibson. I was cast in a very dark role, my character commits suicide. I had never acted before, and did not audition for the role, the director just saw something in me. 

I was rather shy and after that experience I felt that through acting I could wear a character and let go of some of my insecurities. I didn't start acting until my early 30s. Thankfully, I have achieved some financial stability through acting that encouraged me to continue with it. More importantly, I have started to see the connection between performance and life because of my experience as an actor. Basically, I feel that we all cast ourselves in the roles that we live in our life. And through performance you can change the way that people perceive you, and also the way that you perceive yourself.

DM: How did you begin producing, what was the first project you produced? 


MF: I started producing media first. Working as an anthropologist for the US Government, I developed countless educational short videos, and several educational video games. I am proud to say that the programs that I developed led to my employer receiving the US Distance Learning Award for Excellence, which is a national award. Later, I started producing live performances because I saw a gap, or a need for certain material. Case in point: Black Women: State of the Union. I have worked to develop the show since 2008 with several other performers, including Tamika Simpkins, Lee Sherman, Kila Kitu and Lony'e Perrine.  

DM: You are the co-producer and also star in Black Women: State of The Union.  Why did you decide to produce BWSOTU - what was the impetus for you?

MF: We looked around and considered the representation of black women in TV, film, and in theater. We felt while parts of who we are were present in these media, there was so much about us that was not present. And we sought to show people some of these other facets of our personalities and communities. 


DM: Last year I watched the documentary "Miss Representation" (http://www.missrepresentation.orgThe documentary points out the lack of female protagonists in Film and TV and how the media puts down women of power and the impact this has on other women and young girls. This documentary had a huge impact on me and helped frame my own personal experiences in the industry. 

Though I feel this year there has been a shift, I personally feel progress is way too slow. I also feel 
the documentary did not go into the media's representation and lack of representation of Ethnic women. We are still not being represented in a three dimensional way - can you share your thoughts on this? 

MF: It is very sad that at this point in our history, women are still being represented in stereotypical and simplistic ways. The situation is worse for ethnic women, as you know. And yes there has been a shift. However, I feel that we as women we need to drive the shift even further. We can no longer blame other people for things not going our way. It is time for us to take full responsibility for creating and representing ourselves in three-dimensional ways. Right now, I am focused on my research and teaching. However, I will continue to work on BWSOTU. Also, in 2012, I was assisting a producer as he was developing a show about a strong matriarch in our community. I may return to that, but only if it is something that feels good in my gut.


DM: What advice would you give other women interested in producing their own projects? 


Photo Credit: Shawn Smith Photography


MF: I would say to stay to your creative vision, no matter what. You will come up against people who say you can't do it. But those are the people that you should avoid and find other people who you can receive support from. As women, we live in a world that we now can do and say anything we want here in United States. We have a responsibility to act on our creative goals fearlessly and without ceasing. 


DM: What do you love most about what you do?

MF: I love the fact that I am always learning. I learn as an educator. I learn as an anthropologist. I learn as a performer. I learn as producer. I love to learn and I love to find new ways to learn new things about myself and about other people. 

DM: What is the best thing that has happened to you this year? 

MF: In 2012, the best thing that happened to me was that I sought to return to school to get my doctorate. I did not know how I would finance my education. I applied and got into the program. And the faculty and regents at LMU generously gave me a scholarship and then my professor gave me a fellowship and hired me. Now, I am working and doing what I love in my dream doctoral program. Also, my professors and fellow doctoral students came and supported BWSOTU. That meant a lot to me because in the past I often kept my academic life separate from my performance life. I also accepted within myself that my academic life and performance life can coexist and more than that -- these seemingly different parts of my life can and do inform each other. My research on the topic of adult literacy and critical media theory intersects with performance and communication beautifully. The realization of this was like a lightning bolt in my life this year. 

DM: What was the strangest or funniest incident you've experienced in the Entertainment Industry?

MF: Wow! There are so many strange and funny incidents that I could share. I will say this: having lived in California and worked in the entertainment industry off and on now for 10 years, I would say that nothing would surprise me anymore. I am proud of how I've learned to handle strange and funny incidents, and people too. And, I look back and reflect on so many moments with laughter, and wonder at the surprising and creative things that people do.

DM: What is your biggest wish/goal for next year?

MF: My biggest goal this year, which I will achieve, is continuing to write on my dissertation and to continue to connect the themes of adult literacy and critical theory in my work and in my life. I plan to publish my dissertation, but not only just within academic circles. I also aim to publish it and share it with the general public.

DM: What one thing would you do if you knew that you could not fail?

MF: This may sound conceited, but I never think about failure. Because anytime you put your all into something and you take leadership to help achieve a goal you are winning. There is no failure.

DM: If someone were to describe you in one sentence what would they say?

MF: I think it would depend on who you ask. However, most people might say something like: Michelle is a complex, kind, and goal oriented person.

DM: It's the end of a great week and you have some free time on your hands - what do you do?

MF: I love to play the piano. So at the end of a great week I might be playing the piano, or I might be going for a nature hike which is another thing that I love doing. I love spending time with my friends and family and that might be something I would do too!


Michelle, I want to thank you again for this opportunity to share your journey with my readers. You are an inspiration not only to other women but to our society as well. 

If you would like to find out more information on Michelle here are some links:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaks and Valleys

Gunshots and Confusion. What could have happened but didn't.

Forgiveness